Local press: Foreign manpower and remittances
By DR. ABDUL AZIZ HUSSAIN AL-SUWAIGH | AL-MADINAH
Published: Oct 12, 2011 23:22 Updated: Oct 12, 2011 23:22
I am once again examining the issue of remittances made by foreigners in the Kingdom. There are around 8 million expatriates in the country, of which close to 6 million are employed by the private sector. These foreigners are annually transferring close to SR100 billion to their respective countries.
Rest of this article here: http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article516914.ece
In this article, the writer also quotes another writer, Saad Al Doussari saying that: “If the people who received these salaries were our unemployed sons and daughters, would they transfer them outside?”
So, the issues being discussed here are :
1. There are too many expatriates
2. Too much money is sent out
3. Unemployment of Locals
1. Who brought these 8 million people here, and why? Who hosts them?
2. Why should money not be sent out? What incentive does anyone get to keep their money here? They cannot even call their close relatives on a visit properly to SPEND this money here! Allow all LABOR to bring their wives here on 3-4 month visit visa each year, and see the Amount go down from SR 100 Billion to SR 50 Billion.
3. There is NO country on EARTH that can manage the employment of their WHOLE population without INVESTMENT from foreign entities. WHAT incentive does a foreign company get to come and set up here? How easy is it?
I repeat my solution:
Allow anyone to open a company here and operate with one condition : 80% Saudi Staff.
Allow all Iqama holders , regardless of profession, to invest anywhere, send visa to anyone : Remittences abroad will decrease.
Do not allow locals to “sponsor” people: This causes people to bring in 2-300 people at a time and charge them a fee. This adds to the already growing 8 million population of expatriates in this country.
Finally, I would like to ask Arab News a question: Do you truly just enjoy pointing out the issues and giving numbers? Stating the issue is easy, why don’t you guys give the solutions too? Such issues are ANALYZED. And part of Analysis is conclusion and solution. We never get to read those, sadly.
To tell the unemployed Saudi of the current situation is not helping the unemployed Saudi. To get him a REAL job, IS the solution. Jobs are created when various industries expand and many different types of businesses open up. Please refer to my point number 3 above!
May Allah guide us ALL. AMEEN!